Login

The Proposal by LilP7

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Table of Contents

ePub eBook



- Text Size +


Story Note:

***Spanish/French??” once again courtesy of Google.
+++expect some UK ENG to seep through as usual

*Though this can be read as a stand alone piece, if u want more background on Abuela Alvez (Tita used as a term of endearement) u can read my other story "Abuela's 911"

Note for those not into the genre: 'going to the mattresses' is a 'God Father' ref (going to war for the fam - albeit a slightly different fam there ????)

Thx for reading. Comments and constructive feedback are always welcome.

***previously posted on AO3
It was early in the morning when she heard knocking at her front door.
She checked through the peephole before opening the door with a wide, but puzzled smile.
"Chocolate Thunder!" She yelped. "What are you doing here?"
"Tita reached out, she's worried" He replied, side stepping to allow the older woman to enter the apartment first.
Realising she had no other choice, she showed them into her kitchen where she was having her breakfast at the kitchen island.
They both followed her every move to see whether they could discern her mood.
"Babygirl, can you tell us what's up?"
She tried to ignore their stares, hoping to steer the conversation away from where she knew it was inevitably headed.
Trying to change the subject, she looked at them sheepishly offering some of the herbal tea she was drinking or the food she was eating.
"We've eaten, thank you dear" Replied Abuela in a worried voice. She then continued "Is this about you and Luke?"
"I… well… it's complicated" Replied Penelope in a defeated tone.
"Penny dear, are you having second thoughts about your relationship? Did you feel pressured in starting one at all? Because if so, I am very sorry for the part I played in making it happen." She told her in a soothing voice, whilst reaching for the younger woman's hand to hold in hers."You know I love Luke very much and am so happy you made him whole again. But, I meant what I said to you in our past conversations. I've come to love you like one of my own and I want you to be as happy as you can be too. Even if it's not with my Nieto". She sighed.

"No Tita, it's not that at all" Penny rushed to reassure her. "I am so glad you gave us that push. Every morning I wake up with the biggest smile on my face thinking of how lucky I am to be loved so completely by such an amazing man, it's just…"
"C'mon Babygirl, spit it out. We won't judge. We just want to help you." Morgan encouraged her to continue.

She looked up at the both of them, staring into their earnest eyes.
She closed her eyes to steady herself and took a deep breath before resuming.
"I'm pregnant"

"Oh Sweetness, that is wonderful. Isn't it?"
"Of course it is" Abuela confirmed" I'm so happy for you both"
As there was still a cloud of concern over Penelope's face, Morgan held her hands and asked her softly.
"Is it? Are you happy you are pregnant? Is it something you want? Is it something he wants? "

"Oh, my Sweet Chocolate Thunder. I am ecstatic. But… "
"Does he not want kids?"
"I don't know. I mean we never really talked about it since we got together. It's only been a couple of months. We only slept together that one time, well multiple times, but only the one night."
She almost lost herself in the daydream of how much she had enjoyed that night. How amazingly in sync they had found to be with one another from their first spine-tingling touch. How Luke had brought her to heights of pleasures she had never experienced before, and was sure never would with anyone else. As far as she was concerned, he was it for her. No other man would ever measure up to her Newbie.
She was pulled back to her current conversation from a slight cough from Morgan, who had realized where she must have been in her thoughts.
"Ummm, yeah, as I was saying, we then thought it would be better if we kind of slowed down a little bit to make sure we started our relationship on the right foot. Not just out of lust following a stressful - or what I thought it was then - situation at the time." She smiled, remembering fondly how them being together came all about. "I should've known that that man doesn't do anything half assed - I know language, I'm sorry Tita. He went and impregnated me on the first go… " She huffed and contorted her face as she realised both Morgan and Abuela were laughing.
"It's not funny! " She sighed

"It is a bit Babygirl. But seriously, Even with my limited interactions with Alvez, I can see the boy is all in for you. I know him to be an honorable man and I believe he doesnt shirk on his responsibilities." He looked over at Tita who was nodding vehemently to show her agreement. He then continued "I'm sure if you just talk to him he'll tell you himself. I mean you have told me yourself how he worships and loves you. When he confessed his feelings, that you could see how he meant it. I believe that very night he made sure you knew he wanted to be with you forever-"
"Well, yes that is true. It is also true that we were in the throes of you know..."
She had to pause and think about her next words. Though Abuela was 'as hip as they come', she still wanted to be respectful in her phrasing. "Ummm…being with each other like a man and woman in love are - like behind closed doors stuff- having the kinda eyes rolling to the back of your head, flying through the galaxies- understanding the meaning of life kind of experience. Of course he said, and meant - I'm sure of that, all kinds of sweet and precious things that would make any woman weep and swoon…" She cleared her throat "...the point is, would he still mean,want, those same things during the - hormonal craziness phase, 2am feeds, in diapers up to our elbows, wipes stuck to the side of my head kind of experience?"

Tita now spoke up trying to reassure her.
"Penny, I know him. You know him. He will rise to the challenge and do the right thing for you and the baby. "

"Well then, you see my problem right?"
Both Morgan and Abuela looked at her and then rach other, still clearly showing they weren't on the same page as her.
"The man is too perfect for his own good most of the time. He had told me earlier on when we first started dating that he would never ask me to marry him because he had heard about Kevin's proposal and understood marriage was something I was not interested in."

"Slow down a second Princess. I thought you were just worried about the baby. You want to get married?"
"Well. I wouldn't be averse to the idea… with him. Truthfully, I have been mulling it over since I found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks ago and… I would love to do it before the baby is born. I know it's silly, it doesn't really make a difference. I don't even know why. It's just…I don't know… like I love him so much and I want to show him I am not afraid of what we have and I am all in. Since I have always been a bit elusive with my commitment in previous relationships, I thought this would be a tangible gesture to consolidate what we have. Because he deserves to be able to feel as assured and safe in our relationship as he makes me feel all the time. Aaaarrgghhh am I being completely stupid?" She huffed in despair.

"No Mija,I understand. We all have different outlooks in life. It's good you have taken the time to think about what would be right for yourself and the both of you as a couple, well now as a family." Abuela smiled fondly at her. "You know, If that is what you really want, there is a simple solution."
As Penelope looked at her with newfound hope, she continued "It is the 21st century. You know you could ask him right?

Penelope looked at her optimistically, and with a shy smile asked: "Do you think he'll say yes!?!"

Morgan and Tita shared a playful look before turning to face her again saying together "Have you met him?"
As the tension broke they all fell into a hearty laugh.
As to reassure her further, Abuela spoke again. "Since Luke has found out we have been in touch since you two met and that we have a strong bond, he has been calling me more often. He calls me before your dates asking 'Will she like this/what should I bring?' Or when away on cases he would text me, 'Do you think if I text her every night it will be too much? But then I don't want to worry her'... Gosh, I thought that since we got you two together, things would be easier. Alas I was mistaken." She laughed
"I know, right!?! He can be such a dork…"
"Yes, dear, because you asking me what kind of socks he would prefer with his dress shoes is not, what did you call it? Dorky?"

Penelope nodded, unable to deny that that was one of the many reasons why they were so perfect for each other. Resolutely, she asked: "Will you help me?"

Both Derek and Abuela eagerly acquiesced.

____________________

The team were reviewing reports for their last case in the conference room, ensuring they all had the correct details, when Spencer asked to no one in particular "So, have any plans been made with Morgan yet?"
Everyone looked up at him a bit confused.
JJ then asked "What are you talking about? Is Morgan even in town?"
"Of course" He replied, a bit puzzled to be the only one that was apparently aware of their former co-worker's travel plans.
"Well, come on then, tell us the details. How long is he staying? Is he at your place?" continued JJ "You better not hog all of his time whilst in DC. Cos I need me some Morgan time! " She winked at him.

"Well, he is staying until Sunday I believe. Savannah is at a Medical conference in Seattle and Hank is staying with her parents. So Morgan came in but, no, he's not staying with me. He's at Garcia's."
"Of Course he is!" Grinned Tara -throwing a side glance at Alvez, hoping she would get a reaction out of him "you know what they say… whilst the cat's away… "
"Indeed" Interjected Prentiss, fully aware of what Tara was trying to do and wanting in on the fun "He's probably come to get all the Sugar he can get from his Sweetness." And raised her eyebrows in a knowing manner.

Though both Luke and Penelope thought their budding romantic relationship was still a secret, all their team members were in the know.

So Alvez was left to plaster a fake smile on his face whilst trying to remain calm.
Unfortunately he could not help the small groan that came out from deep inside him.
"Are you ok, brother?" Asked Matt with a sweet smile.
"Yeah, sure, of course. Why wouldn't I be? I am just a little surprised that's all. Garcia usually can't keep anything secret. I am looking forward to catching up with Morgan." He said trying to convince himself as well as the others of that.

"Speak of the Devil! There they are" Said Rossi
as everyone turned to look at where he was pointing.

They all watched as Garcia and Morgan came off the elevator and were walking towards them. Luke noticed straight away that Derek's arm was wrapped around her shoulders. Without breaking their stride he would then tighten his grip every so often as he whispered in her ears, making her giggle.
As they arrived in the conference room, everyone crowded around Morgan to greet him, so Garcia moved slightly to the side. She now realized Luke was staring at her with a frown and he made a barely there move with his hand pointing at her and then Morgan with a questioning look.
Before she could react to him, Luke had turned to shake hands and greet Morgan, though not as effusively as all the others.
After a few minutes of trivial catching up, Emily went back into her Unit Chief mode.
"Morgan, I am really glad to see you, but you know how these things go. We really need to submit these reports asap"
"Don't worry Prentiss. I understand. I'm in town for a few days and we'll definitely do something all together. For the time being, I will spend some quality one on one time with my Goddess. It has been way too long" He winked at Penelope.
"Oh Chocolate Thunder, you know je suis toujours à toi"
"Oh Mama!" He sighed with a small growl "you know you drive me crazy with all that voulez-vous sexiness"
Luke couldn't help the "Oh Por Favor, Dios ayúdame… " That escaped under his breath. He bit his tongue, but he had been caught.
"What's that man?" Asked Morgan.
"Nothing, I was just, um, saying we really need to get on with the meeting if we want to submit the reports on time "
Everyone just looked at the two men, trying to contain their laughter.
"You're right. Apologies for the interruption. Let's go Babygirl, show me how you've updated that cave of wonders of yours."
As they started to walk out the room, he raised his voice and looked over his shoulder before he said "I understand it is now fully soundproof? I'd love to test that"
Garcia turned to face him, her cheeks now flushed, and she lightly swatted him on his arm "Hot Chocolate, remember HR is still listening. Wait until we are behind closed doors at least!"

Alvez was now fuming at the exchange he had just witnessed, but since he had promised Garcia they would keep their relationship a secret, he had to muster all his strength not to react.
As his team members looked on, they all were very impressed by the show of restraint he had displayed. Deciding they did not want to tip their hand and betray their knowledge, they all carried on with the task at hand. Allowing him to simmer in silence.

As the morning progressed, they all settled back to their desks once the reports had been submitted. Now busy completing other admin tasks that usually got sidetracked during away cases.

Neither Garcia, nor Morgan had resurfaced from her office.

As he had a chance to think things over, Alvez started to wonder why he had allowed himself to lose control.
He was well aware of Garcia and Morgan's interactions. Though he joined the Team after Morgan had left, he had seen them together at family dinners or outings through the years. He had noticed their strong familial bond and had been glad that she had someone in her life that loved her that much. Protected her, looked out for her. Someone she was so at ease with, that she could go to with any problem. In fact, more so after they got together, he was glad Derek would be there should anything happen to him while on a case.

As he was regurgitating the facts, he noticed Morgan making his way to the kitchen. He grabbed his own cup from his desk and followed him under the pretense of getting himself some coffee.
"Hey Derek" He greeted.
"Alvez" Morgan nodded.
"So, how have you been? The family?"
"Y'know. Same old, same old. You?"
As he was being very cagey, Luke tried a slightly different approach.
"So, I'm sure Penelope has told you in confidence, since no one else knows. That, well, we've been dating for the past couple of months. So, yeah, I'm really good, ``he smiled.
"That so, uh?" Derek stared at him expressionless.
"Yeah… yes-" "She hasn't told you?" He asked worried about what that could mean.
"No, she has. I was just wondering what 'really good' meant. Just curious that's all"
Though he was fully on board with Garcia's plan and liked Luke - having made sure he had checked with the rest of the team that he was indeed a worthy suitor. Morgan had decided he would do some more digging and test his resolve directly. After all, she was planning to marry and bring up a baby with the guy. So he should be able to withstand some ribbing by her de-facto Big brother/father all rolled into one.
"It means, uhm, that I'm- we are happy and, yes. I'm good. We're good". He said whilst rubbing the back of his head and swaying on his feet. God why was he so nervous? He felt like a teenager being interrogated by his date's father on prom night.
"Glad to hear it I guess. Between you and me, I was a bit worried. Knowing your past an'all-"
"What's that supposed to mean?" Asked Luke, now working extra hard to avoid losing control once again.
"I mean, I remember Rossi mention that he had to work really hard to get you to join the team. You apparently had told him you 'enjoy the chase' and get pretty bored once you are in a place for too long. I was then wondering if that applied to your personal relationships too. I know you chased my Babygirl for like 4 years, so now that you caught your prize- her. What are your intentions? Cos I have to tell you, man. She has been burned before and I will be damned if I'll let anyone else hurt her like that".
Yes, he was mostly teasing, but he also needed Alvez to hear and understand the truth of his feelings and how far he would go to protect Penelope.
Luke collected himself and replied with the most steady and sincere voice he could: "She is not a prize. She is the most wonderful and beautiful human being I know and I am in love with her. I didn't catch her. I know I am very lucky that she allows me to be with her. And I'll be with her for as long as she will let me."
"I guess only time will tell-. " Said Morgan not wanting to relent, but very pleased with the other man's answer.
Just then, a familiar face popped into the kitchen.
He cleared his throat and addressed Morgan "Ready for that chat now?"
"Hey Lynch, sure, lead the way". He then followed the tech Analyst leaving Alvez with a curt "Later man".
Alvez decided to see where the two were going and witnessed them walking towards Kevin's office making polite conversation. Just as they entered his office, Luke also noticed Morgan give Lynch a light pad, as if of approval, on his shoulder.

Witnessing that spectacle, he now was realizing what had been bugging him all along. For the last couple of weeks, Garcia had been aloof and distant. She always seemed to have an excuse not to meet with him. They saw each other whenever he was around the office, but they hadn't been on a date or spent any real alone time together. She had been to see Roxy, but only when he had been away on a case.
With time spent away, having to keep their distance when in the office as their relationship was still a secret, himself being busy, he hadn't grasped the full extent of their separation. She was still replying to his text messages and would still make polite conversation over the phone, but he was now sure things weren't as smooth as they had been when they first started dating. He was wondering whether she was having second thoughts. Whether she had asked Morgan to come to support her in case she wanted to… he didn't have the stomach to finish that thought. As he spiralled down a very unhelpful road of worst case scenarios, he remembered a conversation he had with his Abuela a few weeks prior. He had mentioned to her that he was feeling Penelope pull away a bit. She had reminded him that he had a tendency to overthink things. Especially those concerning his happiness.
For God sake Alvez, he finally told himself. Pull yourself together. You are both adults. You will talk to her and straighten things out.
He decided that he would no longer mope and instead threw himself back into work.

Before they left for the day, it was decided that, work permitting, there would be a celebratory dinner for Morgan at Rossi's that Friday evening.

Two days, Luke kept repeating to himself. Two days and I will have a chance to speak to her. He knew just the right place to take her in Rossi's grounds, once everyone else would have been too busy or too tipsy to notice. It had been their secret little place where they would sneak furtive kisses whilst still maintaining their secrecy. Perfect, he thought to himself, she was never able to resist him by that old oak tree. A smile finally returning to his face.

______________________


He arrived at Rossi's house to attend the dinner for Morgan. Was he happy? Not exactly thrilled really, but he still wanted to celebrate with the team. He still admired and respected the man. He understood what he meant to Penelope. He had resolved to get him to like him at any cost. He had already managed to do it with her, how hard could it be? He thought to himself, more a hope than a certainty.
As he reached the back yard, he saw Morgan chatting with Krystall, so he nodded in his direction as a hello, not wanting to interrupt that conversation. He was also looking around to see if she was there. He had called Garcia again that afternoon, but she had told him she had some errands to run and she would make her way there on her own when she could. He had tried to persuade her a couple of times, eventually he had to relent and admit defeat. He was still thinking about how their conversation had gone and dark doubts took over his thoughts again.
He was snapped out of his trance when he heard her voice greeting their family.

As he made to move towards her, she simply smiled at him, walked past him and made a beeline for Morgan.
"Hey there my Chiselled six pack. Have you got something for me?"
"For you, always Sweetness! " He replied with a wide smile, took her hand and lead her inside the house.

Enough, he snapped, I think I have been more than patient. But now I need to know what is going on here. He thought to himself.
He took a couple of steps towards the house when he heard a voice calling him.
"Hola Nieto, aren't you going to come and hug your grandma?"
He turned on his heels to regard her, a look of total surprise on his face.
"Abuela, what are you doing here? Why didn't you tell me you were coming? "
"Well, it was all a bit of a last minute thing. Dear Derek called and said he needed my help, so of course I came as soon as I could". She stated as a matter of fact.
He pouted a little when asking " You too Tita?"
"What do you mean, me too?" She asked perplexed.
"Well, " He began "don't get me wrong, I love the man, but he seems to be monopolizing all my favorite ladies-"
"Mijo-... "
"Tita, you know how Penelope worships him. I get it, I wasn't- am not - against their friendship. But I am worried he thinks I am not good enough for her. What if he tells her so? Probably has already done so. Since he got in town a couple of days ago, she has been even more distant than the last couple of weeks. I've only seen her briefly at work and she has barely spoken to me… Maybe he has finally convinced her that there is someone better out there for her-"
"Oh Mijo, you can be so…DUMB sometimes. Thank goodness you are so cute!" She chuckled whilst embracing him.
"Oh, wow. Thank you Tita, please remind me never to come to you for a pep talk" He said sarcastically.
She let go of him, looked him in the eyes and then lightly slapped the back of his head.
"That girl adores you, and you know it. Jealousy and self doubt are not good colors on you. The night is young. You'll see". She embraced him quickly once again.

At that moment they saw Penelope making her way towards them with Morgan closely following.
She was now holding a large bag in one of her hands.
She walked up to him. Without a word she splayed a hand on his chest and led him back a few paces to a nearby chair. She motioned for him to sit and proceeded to remove something from the bag she held. She placed a cushion at his feet and used his thighs to steady herself as she knelt in front of him.
She then retrieved the next item from the bag. This being an hexagonal black metal box. When she removed the lid, to reveal its content, he saw it was an army green and black Casio G-Shock watch.
Penelope then looked from the watch in her hand and up to him with a smile.
"Luke.-"
He was completely enraptured by the events unfolding in front of him, so he only managed a shaky "Garcia, what are you doing?"
Before he could say anything else, she quickly interrupted him.
"Newbie, please let me say what I have to say! 'Cos if you interrupt me I may lose my trail of thought. I worked too hard on my speech only to have you ruin it with some Macho BS about how girls shouldn't propose. Plus this position is not the most comfortable and I'd rather not fall over cos my legs have gone numb. We are being recorded and I want to look good and not end up as a Meme for posterity!"
He looked at her, stunned in amazement, his eyes filling with tears he was trying his damndest not to shed. He held his hands up and simply nodded to signify he was ready to listen.
"As I was saying, Luke, I know we have been official for only a couple of months, but I believe we both know, hell I'm sure everyone here does by now, that we've been in love with each other for a long time -years really. Whether we wanted to admit it or not. We also know that this thing between us is as close to perfection as we could ever get. So, I think we've wasted enough time on the chase to delay any and all future milestones we know are to come in our relationship. I want to give you this watch as a symbol of my commitment to you. It is reliable and nigh on indestructible, just like I know our love for each other to be."
She had to pause and take a breath to steady herself.
"Luke Pablo Alvez, will you marry me and be part of our lives forever?"
"Penelope Garcia, I love you more than words can describe. I will be honoured to be your husband" He replied without any hesitation.
Unable to wait any longer, he stood up and pulled her along with him.
He then kissed her deeply, trying to convey how elated he was.
He released her lips only when they both needed to take a breath. She then handed him the watch and that's when he saw it.
There was an inscription at the back of it that read:
'por el mejor Papà,
Mamà te ama para siempre'

"Papà!?!" He asked in disbelief.
"Oh yeah, there was another lil thing I was meant to say before I got lost in your delicious lips-"
"You're… ? We're… ?"
Garcia nodded and as she noticed the incredulous look still on his face, she asked in a titubant tone "Is it…ok?"
"Ok? Ok? It's perfect! YOU, BOTH OF YOU ARE PERFECT!"
He then picked her up in his arms and spinned her around.
"Luke, I'm gonna feel dizzy. I don't really want to barf on my brand new and shiny fiancé!" She lamented jokingly.
He placed her back on solid ground. He put one of his hands on her face, his long fingers reaching behind her head, he placed his other hand gently on her belly. He looked her in the eyes more intensely than he had ever done.
"I never thought there could be any way for me to love you even more. Wow, was I ever wrong! "
He then kissed her with a hunger and avidity that he, nor her, had ever experienced before.

They were so enthralled in each other that they barely heard all their friends clapping and cheering them on.
This, until a raised voice came through.
"Bleurgh! Just get a room. You can't really get into any more trouble anyway, and we don't have to have our appetite ruined by watching you two make out like rabbits" Tara said mockingly.
He begrudgingly released her and looked at her with one of his signature sweet, slightly crooked smiles.
"That was an unconventional proposal, uh?"
"Did you expect any different Newbie? It's us after all. " She laughed.
"I know Chica, I know. I just don't want you to think you missed out on something when you'll look back at this, years from now. I mean, no rings exchanged-"
"Well, I know you're not one for jewelry. So I thought that a watch was more you. And I did check, but it seems engagement rings for men are not a thing. Can you believe it in this day and age-." She started rambling off.
"I was actually thinking more along the lines for you, Chica"
"It's ok." She looked at him contented, "You gave me something much more precious" She said whilst lovingly patting her stomach. "I couldn't ask for anything better".
"So, are saying you don't want this then?"
She looked on in confusion until she saw him reach into his trousers' front pocket to retrieve a small, black velvet, drawstring bag.
He opened it and pulled out a ring, now holding it up closer to her so she could see it clearly.
She gasped and covered her mouth with both her hands. Tears swelling up her eyes.
After she was left speechless for what felt like an eternity, she managed to mutter "How… Why do you have Tita's ring? And why are you carrying it with you?"
He smiled at her, glad he could surprise her after she had given him so much that evening.
"I have been carrying it with me since my Abuela gave it to me after we took her out to dinner that first time you finally met in person a couple of months ago".
"I know I said I wouldn't ask you to marry me cos I knew- well I thought anyway- you didn't want to get married. But I was trying to find the perfect moment to give it to you as a promise ring at least. To show you that my commitment to you- to us- is real. Plus, carrying it with me made me feel closer to you and served as a reminder that I had to do my best to come back to you safely. But now, I have something even better-" He said whilst holding up his left wrist where he had worn the watch she had given him and then rubbing and placing a gentle kiss on her belly. "So I think it is time I finally place the ring where it belongs." He smiled as he reached for her hand.
"Aaawwww, Luke Alvez, stop making me love you even more"
"Ah Never!" He answered with a dimpled smile.
After she kissed him again. Oh yeah, she was making up for all those missed kisses from the past couple of weeks, Thank you very much!
She took a long look at the ring he had now slipped on her left hand's ring finger.
It was comprised of 3 simple, intertwined, bands. Two were silver and one was gold.
She remembered the story Abuela had told her about her most prized possession. How when they were younger and still courting, her husband had scraped every bit of money he could. Doing any odd jobs available when not on duty on base. He then had the ring made especially for her and asked her to marry him before being shipped off to war. Telling her how the silver bands represented each one of them and the gold one in the middle signified the love and strong bond that would hold them together forever.
She knew how much the ring meant to Tita, especially since Abuelo had passed away.
She couldn't help another volley of tears surging to her eyes.
She then let go of Luke's hand and reached gently for Abuela, pulling her into a tight hug.
"Thank you Tita. I am so grateful. But I know what this means to you. Are you sure you want me to have it?"
"Oh querida. I had decided a long time ago that this ring would one day adorn the hand of only the most perfect woman for my sweet Nieto Luke. I couldn't be happier, or agree more, with his choice. I know Abuelo is looking down at us thinking exactly the same".
They both embraced again, sobbing into each other's arms.

As things started to settle. Luke thought it was best to bite the bullet and address the elephant in the room.
With a somber gaze on his face, he turned to regard Morgan, who in turn was still staring at him with an indiscernible look.
"Listen man, I know I might not be exactly what you hoped for her. But I promise that I will make it my life's mission to make and keep her happy. I know I'm not good enough for her. I don't really think anyone is. But I will work very hard to earn your trust and respect and show you that I am committed to this. I will strive everyday to be the best man I can be for her and our family. Hopefully, I will eventually exceed or at least meet your expectations."
Morgan tried to speak "I don't think-"
"Please Morgan, just give me a chance" He pleaded. "I know how important you are to her. To each other. I understand and hope you will always be a part of her life and our children's. I really wish you will also want to be part of my life, be my friend, my brother-"
Derek then interrupted him with a wave of his hand and a light punch on his shoulder. "Good God man! You babble on almost as much as she does! " He laughed. "What I was trying to say is, I don't think you understand how much work Tita and I put in to get the two of you where you are now."

Luke was once again taken aback. "But I saw you with Lynch. You seemed very friendly when you took him for a private conversation, I thought-."

Morgan looked at him with a slight frown of disgust. "That guy?" "Naw man! He approached me in the building at HQ to let me know he had found out about the two of you. He then said he was ready to send up the HR chain multiple complaints and reports of your 'behavior unbecoming of an agent' whilst on and off duty. So I had to read him the riot act. I explained in no uncertain terms that any interference in my family's business would NOT be tolerated and that he better behave himself." "I might be paraphrasing slightly here about the kind of language I used, and that is why it had to be done behind closed doors." He roared into laughter.
Alvez was now brimming with joy. Not only had Morgan apparently accepted him as a worthy match for Garcia, he actually referred to him as family and was willing to go to the mattresses for his relationship with her.
Glancing between Morgan and his Abuela, then Luke spoke with reverence. "I guess thanks and my deepest appreciation are in order then."
"Definitely. From me too" Chimed in Pen.
With a sly look, Morgan addressed the both of them. "As much as I would love to say that we did it for your benefit, I think a big part of it was for the sake of my own health and sanity"
As they both looked back at him stunned, he carried on.
"Babygirl, Newbie, the whole fam was running out of patience really." He said with a hint of desperation. "Something had to give. Plus, I was really keen to collect on that bet's jackpot. It was high time that someone dethroned Prentiss as the repeat winner. " He turned to wink at his former Boss.
"Derek Henry Morgan!" Prentiss said in a scolding tone. "Cheating is not allowed. So if you did anything to sway the results, I won't pay out!"
With an innocent look, Derek smiled at her. "I didn't cheat. I did not do anything. Can't speak for everyone else here…" He paused whilst sharing a knowing look with Abuela.
"What can I say? I was offered dinner. Can you -or anyone in their right mind- blame me for not refusing him? Have you seen that 1000 watt smile - and those arms?" Said Abuela with a chaste but lustful look in Morgan's direction "I was the envy of my knitting club, still am!!! By the way, they keep reminding me about that next visit you promised them." "The ladies couldn't keep their hands off of him." She trailed off with a laugh.
"Yeah," Said Morgan with a slight frown. "I still have the bruise on my left cheek from Mrs Lin's pinch as proof."
"Your face looks fine dear-" Said Abuela whilst scrutinizing him, looking for any mark but not finding any.
"The other kind of cheek Tita." He bashfully winked at her.
"Ohhhh… " she smiled as she remembered how the usually grumpy Mrs Lin had walked around with a wide grin on her face for a couple of days after his visit.
The whole group broke into laughter before Emily interrupted.
"There you have it. I call foul! All payments are to be frozen! "
An amused Reid finally spoke up. "Actually, I did notice that everyone tried to sway the results in their own favor since this particular bet was placed." Alluding to the many more that must have been placed over the years.
As everyone looked at him quizzically he continued.
"JJ always had Alvez call PG whenever we were on a case. She also kept asking him to go to her office/help Pen with any mundane request/bring her favorite coffee from Lunacorn-telling him how PG had asked her but she had run out of time because of the boys- etc. thus forcing them to interact in close quarters." "Dr Lewis, however, employed the opposite tactic. Always trying to get them into a fight. I guess she subscribes to the 'reverse psychology' theory, or maybe she just watched too many RomComs when 'opposite attract' couples end up tearing each other's clothes off following a fight!?!" Tara just grinned back with her hands raised, palms up, and a shrug of her shoulders.
So Reid continued "Even wise Mr Simmons stooped so low as to use his kids" "Didn't you find it odd that Kristy's Doctor's appointments were always in the evening and both of you were asked to babysit? Together?"
Everyone turned to look at Matt, usually the most mature behaving person on the Team, in shock.
"Hey, I have 5 kids to feed and send to college. That money would've come in handy" He said with a defensive laugh.
"Et tu Matt?" Asked Rossi in mock scorn.
"You're one to talk '' Said Reid, not done with his list of infractions "Oh yes, papà Rossi. I know about the so-called leftovers you brought in for them. Oysters, chocolate covered strawberries. Never cabbage, stew or beans… Never for anyone else, managing to stir them to have lunch, just the two of them, in her bat cave under the guise of an excuse or another''.
"So Spence, tell me then, is there any particular reason why you gave me your Comicon tickets a few months back, suggesting I'd take Garcia citing the fact that your mother was too ill for you to attend?" Asked Luke, now pondering over every interaction with his team members that seemed to throw him in Garcia's direction.
"Well…" Began a now redder than a ripe tomato Reid.
"Oooooh, oh Pretty Boy. I have taught you well then! Next lesson though, will be on how not to get caught!" Said Derek with a laugh whilst giving Reid a pat on the back and side hug.
"Still, after all of our efforts… it took Tita to finally get them into each other's arms, literally" Tara smirked.

At this point, the amusement on Luke and Penelope's faces turned into embarrassment.
Pen proceeded to bury her face into Luke's chest at the implication of her words. Luke, for his part, buried his own face in Garcia's hair.
After he gave her a quick peck on her head he looked up again. He then asked shyly "You all know about that? How?"

"Well duh," Stated JJ quite seriously. "What do you think happens on the Garvez group chat? We have to share info or no one would ever be able to collect on any of the bets."

"Children, children" Rossi said in an authoritative, parental manner to get everyone's attention. "We can sort all of that out later. We can also discuss how we all helped Kitten and her handsome Beau get together. For now, I think we have overlooked a very important part of this evening." "That is to finally raise our glasses and toast the wonderful double news!"

Everyone raced to the drinks' table to pick up their favorite. As they all settled back in a crescent formation, facing the couple of the moment, they quickly exchanged furtive glances, lifted their glasses before shouting out in unison.
"To Garvez! "