Login

Changing Things by The New Nightingale

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Table of Contents

ePub eBook



- Text Size +


She sat, staring out the window at the clouds that drifted by, as they powered through the air. Her mind was playing on a continuous loop, showing her over and over again, that poor woman’s body. Hung there, like a broken marionette on a string. Taking a deep breath, she turned her head to find Morgan staring at her. With an effort of will she suppressed thoughts of Beth Smoler.

She knew something must have shown on her face however, from the way Morgan was looking at her, and despite her attempts to look innocent he asked her the question she both dreaded and longed to hear.

“So tell me,” he said, “back at the house, when we found Beth Smoler.” He didn’t finish the question. He didn’t have to.

With a sigh, Prentiss turned her attention back to the view out the window. She could feel Morgan’s gaze on her. It was like a heavy curtain “ giving the impression that something incredible lay behind the screen but that it was inaccessible. Part of her so desperately wanted to pull back the curtain and see what lay beneath. She had been surprised when Morgan had admitted to owning four properties to her earlier. Usually he was so private, so guarded around her “ opening up for nobody but Garcia. It was nice to know that he was beginning to trust her as much as he did the blond technician. Well, maybe not as much, she admitted silently, but at least more than he had done.

There was something magnetic about Derek Morgan “ he drew people to him in a way she couldn’t yet understand. He was a puzzle “ one she wanted to understand and work out.

Realising she had been silent too long, she answered Morgan’s question. “I don’t know,” she admitted, barely registering how tired her own voice sounded; not noticing the subtle shift in Derek’s gaze as he noticed it too. “Sometimes I just wonder if we’re actually changing anything.” She shook her head, watching Derek shift in his seat out of the corner of her eye. He titled his head and rolled his shoulders as though trying to ease tension “ though she wouldn’t of said he had seemed tense before.

“Do you want to know why I have four properties?” He asked, looking at her.

Prentiss turned her head, observing the dark profiler for a moment, before smiling slightly and shaking her head. “Tell me.” She demanded. There was a hint of laughter, amusement to her tone, and Derek realised he was glad that he had managed to alleviate her gloom “ even momentarily.

“If I’m not kicking down doors,” he told her, “I’m smashing down walls. At the end of the day, they both make me feel like I’m changing something. For the better.”

He met Emily’s dark, smoky gaze and he saw realisation dawn in her eyes.

“Good enough?” He asked her, though he knew that she had made peace with her demons for the day.

She graced him with a small, genuine smile and nodded. “Good enough.” She agreed. Their eyes met for a moment longer before Morgan reached down to lift up his headphones, a smirk curving his lips. Their eyes met once more, and Derek knew that whilst Emily Prentiss compartmentalised well, she was still human. It wasn’t a weakness that she second-guessed herself; it was simply proof that she cared.

Smiling once more, Derek leaned back and closed his eyes. He was beginning to understand Emily Prentiss, he realised. Maybe it was time to see if she could understand him too?