Login

Chicago by little_profiler



Title: Homesick
Fandom: Criminal Minds
Pairing: Morgan/Garcia
Table: Time
Prompt for 10 I love you: #8 Weeks
Rating: K
Disclaimer: Neither the show nor the characters belong to me, they belong to CBS. Nonetheless, I love to borrow them from time to time.
Summary: Part 2/10 of the Chicago series. Derek needs someone to talk him into sleep.
warnings: none

“Yeah?” she mumbled sleepily into her phone. She’d said something indecent telling the caller that it wasn’t nice to wake her up at 4 in the morning, but she’d seen the caller ID and immediately known it was important.

When the person at the other end of the line refused to answer she was immediately wide awake. “Hot stuff, what’s wrong?” she asked worriedly.

“I’m sorry, baby girl.” his voice sounded weak as if he hadn’t slept in ages. “I didn’t mean to wake you up.”

“It’s okay.” she assured. “You know you can call me whenever you want.”

“I bet that didn’t include the middle of the night.” he sighed.

“Whenever you want.” Penelope repeated and sat up in her bed. “You couldn’t sleep.”

He smiled sadly and closed his eyes for a moment. “You know me too well, goddess.”

“Tell me what’s wrong!” she said softly and switched her light on.

“I wish I knew.” she could practically hear him ran a hand over his head. “It’s just… three weeks and we still got nothing, not a single trace. He has killed four other boys since I got here and there seems to be nothing I can do to make him stop.”

“I know.” she replied softly. Assuring him that they would eventually get this sleaze didn’t help him at the moment and she knew that. “I wasn’t able to find any connection between the victims either and as far as I know our friends are stuck with the profile, too. Can be frustrating.”

“Yeah.” a small smile crossed his lips.

“You’re not the only one working on this case, honey. So you’re not the one to blame if we can’t solve it or if there’s another victim.”

“I know.” there was a long pause before he added. “It’s just that… these boys… I know what they felt before…”

“No, Derek!” Penelope harshly interrupted him. “Don’t go that way! You’re the one who taught me not to identify with the victims so don’t start this yourself now! You have to think like the unsub to catch him.”

“I know that.” he grumbled.

Penelope was silent for a moment before she finally said calmly: “You’re keeping something from me.”

If only he could tell her about the simple sentence that had thrown him off track. But he knew that she would tell Hotch who would ultimately take him off the case. And Derek couldn’t let that happen. He needed to catch this guy! And after all, he wasn’t the one who had made all this personal!

“I just needed to hear your voice.” he finally sighed. “You’re my solace, remember?”

Penelope smiled sadly. She knew him well enough to know when he was lying “ and when to let it go. “Okay, sweetness, then put yourself to bed and listen.”

“What, you’re gonna tell me a bedtime story?” he chuckled.

“Hush, sugar, go to bed now!” she grinned and waited until she’d heard him settle in his bed. “Comfortable?”

“Not really, but it serves the purpose.” he grinned into his phone.

“Oh, I’m not sure we’re talking about the same purpose here, stud-muffin.” she giggled softly.

Of course, she couldn’t see the content expression on his face when he closed his eyes to listen to her voice. “I’m all ears, goddess.”

“Alright then” she smiled and switched off her light again, “once upon a time there was a knight in shining armor…”

“So, it’s a bedtime story after all.” he interrupted her.

“Okay, it IS a bedtime story.” she sighed. “Now, do you want my sweet voice to talk you into even sweeter dreams or not?!”

“Okay, okay, I’m listening.” Derek smiled. This was somehow ridiculous, Penelope telling him a bedtime story over the phone because he couldn’t sleep. But he had just called to hear her voice “ and he honestly didn’t care what she was saying. She WAS his solace, because the sound of her voice was enough to make him feel better, even good enough to fall asleep.

“And don’t you interrupt your solace again!” Penelope scolded. “Okay, now, once upon a time there was a knight in shining armor. He was brave and strong and very, VERY handsome. And, of course, there was his beautiful princess with the long blonde hair. She loved her hero very much and whenever he was around she felt absolutely safe. She knew that he would never let anyone do her any harm…”

“You’re not talking about us now, are you?” he chuckled. “Even though you’re very much exaggerating.”

“What did I say about interrupting me?” Penelope said with mocked anger.

“I’m sorry.” he couldn’t suppress a yawn and snuggled further into his sheets.

“Besides, where is it written that I’m not allowed to enjoy this story myself? Now, will you let me finish it?” she asked a little impatiently.

“Just one question.” he mumbled already half asleep.

“What is it?” Penelope replied softly.

His voice sounded as if he was already sleeping: “Is there a happy ending?”

“Of course, lollipop.” she whispered. “There’s always a happy ending to my stories.”

“That’s good.” his voice was muffled as the phone was no longer in his hand but next to him on the pillow. “I love you, baby girl. Thank you for talking me into sleep.” he yawned again and finally fell asleep.

“Anytime, my love, anytime.” she smiled and closed her eyes as well.